Anyway, I came up with some hair ties that she likes and I enjoy making them for her. They're easy to make and if she loses them I'm ok with it because I'll just make more (and I honestly just don't stress about that kind of thing anyway).
If you know how to crochet, you can do this in a snap. If you don't know how to crochet there are some youtube videos to show you how and this uses the most simple of the crochet technique of single crochet and double crochet.
Here's what you need:
- Plain pony tail tie
- 1 mm Cording
- (You can use lots of things like elastic cording, cord, thick string, or yarn. Experiment with what you like to work with and what you can easily string beads on).
- Crochet hook (Size depends on the size of the cord)
- Beads for embellish
- I use lots of different things.. acrylic is best as it's not as expensive and if it breaks you don't have broken glass everywhere. I'm very often trolling the clearance racks at craft stores).
Step by Step1. String all your decorative beads on your cord/yarn/thread.
|String Your Beads FIRST|
3. Attach your thread to the crochet hook. Go under the pony tail tie, pull the cord from the other side through the tie, wrap the cord around the crochet hook (to do a double crochet) and pull thread through your loops.
|Crochet Around Plain Tie|
4. Continue around the pony tail tie until you have it covered. (You can pull the stitches over a little to fit more in. Depends on how much you want to cover up the hair tie in the base).
|Double Crochet To Cover Plain Tie.|
5. Do a single crochet into the first row of crochet you did. Chain one.
6. Pull a bead towards your hook. Chain one.
|Row 2: Add Beads|
7. Single crochet in next hole on the first row of crochet you did. Chain one.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 til all the beads are gone.
9. Single crochet around the entire base.
10. Remove hook and secure your thread with a knot. I normally like to drop a dab of bead glue on the knots to make sure they're secure. Just make sure you don't USE the hair tie til you're sure that glue is dry. ;)
|Just Add Hair|